Written for:
Blogophilia 50.4 Topic: "Thoughts of Grandeur"
(Hard, 2pts): include a quote from Kobayashi Issa"
(Easy, 1pt): mention 'taking out the trash'
AND
For Renegade Writers "Summer Jam/Home."
~ ~ ~
"You are someone who is different, but who wants to be the same as everyone else. And that in my view is a serious illness.This is very true in my case. I am different. But I keep asking question why others are not like me? why others are enjoying such simple things of life? "
~Paulo Coelho from Veronika Decides to Die~
The song "Going Home" starts from 1:40:14
This is about a schizophrenic patient in a mental institution wanting to go home.
A: Are you ready to leave this place?
B: Yes,Doc. Please. I want to go home.
A: Ok, and where are you going from here?
B: I just said home.
A: Do you know exactly where it is? Street name? House number?
B: I know not what you are talking about. This place is a house...a house for people like me. This is not home.
A: Like you?
B: Yes, like me...not like you. That’s what this house was built for,right? To isolate us and try to change us.Because according to you, we think and act differently from the rest. You see how different we are from you but we don’t see how different you are from us. And what is wrong about being different? Do you notice how you “normal” people are also different from each other? If being different is your basis for locking us up here, you “normal” people should also be locking up each other. I don’t need to be here. I am here because I can’t be accepted for who I am. And you are here to change me to someone you believe is worthy of acceptance.
A: We’re here to help.
B: What sort of help do I need? I don’t need help. When I’m hungry, I’ll tell you I need to eat. Even if you don’t offer me food, I will know when I need food. I don’t think I need help. Maybe,you do.
A: You see, you can’t even remember your exact address..and the name of your husband...even your own name.
C: Do you know my name? Do you know I am your husband?
B: So what if I don’t remember your name ? In the cherry blossoms shade, there’s no such thing as a stranger. We’ll get along fine if you just let me be me. Some days I may stare at you blankly but I will recognize your voice..your touch and how you look at me.
C: Most days, it’s you I can’t recognize. You would turn around yourself and spin so fast with a crown on your head. I thought you were trying to learn ballet. And when I tried to leave you alone, you spin that rope right above your head and threw it on me to catch me. That’s when I realized, you were pretending to be Wonder Woman.
B: But I let you become Batman!
C: Yeah, by putting holes on the garbage bag and putting them on me...covering my entire body with it..leaving only my eyes and nose seen.
B: Wasn’t it fun?!
C: Well, taking out the trash has never been the same for me.
B: Oh, promise I’ll take out the trash if you just let me go back home!
C: I think it’s better you stay here first until you get better. You don’t see the world as it should be.
B: That’s it? Why? How do you see the world?
A: The world outside follows rules..some rules of conduct for people to live productive and in order.That’s what keeps the whole system running.
B: Does my inability to see the world as you see it affects anyone? Does the world stop turning when I laugh to my heart’s content? Does anyone even stop to listen when I scream people shouldn’t be doing that to each other or else I will fly them to the moon and observe the living from that vantage point ...that they may see the follies of their undertakings! They wake up each day, they look for money to live another day to look for money again. They buy toys to play with but in the end, they end up being played upon by their own toys. They eat in order to live without thinking that what they are putting inside their body is the easiest way to die by poisoning themselves with dead food. They erect big houses and punish themselves everyday working for it in a small cubicle without enough time left to be in it. And when they do, all that is left for them is to sleep. And they elect someone to ensure continuity of that mediocre existence. Everyone has thoughts of grandeur that material possession makes a respectable man..that life would be perfect if they could just be like everyone else, raising for acquisition of what everyone wants to have.
A: And what is it that you want to have?
B: I want lands that bear fruit with a touch of my hands....I want to unlearn and let the innocence and curiosity of the youth show me what I have not thought of...I want every person on earth to feel that the best things in life are the easiest way to acquire if only we choose to be different than the rest of what society wants us to be. Only then can we be truly happy. I am born in this world with my own lot. Allow me to choose how to spend it. Are my thoughts of grandeur sicken you?
C: I can’t live with you while you are like that.
B: What is so difficult about me? When I laugh, can you not laugh with me? When I cry, can’t you shed a tear ,too? I can’t promise to change what you can’t accept . You just simply let me be me.
C: You don’t know who you want to be.You don’t know who you are. You don’t know me. That’s the harsh reality of your lot .
B: But I know what I want while most people don’t. Especially you. Let me go home. Please...
(awkward silence)
B: Why you don't answer? Is it still made of cookies and candies? Or you have eaten them all? Is that why you don’t want me to get home?!!! I want a sweet home! Home sweet home!!!!
Note: The original post was a poetry but I took it down as I felt it needed a great amount of revision.I ended up scribbling dialogues instead.

Yes, I have eaten them all.
ReplyDeleteThe walls seem to close in with this write.
I knew it! Hu hu hu! How else would other Blogophiliacs taste those cookies?!
ReplyDelete